I personally find it wrong. Marriage was intended for a union between man and woman. God did not intend for a marriage to be a union between two people of the same sexual orign. The Bible discusses homosexuality as a sin. Now, when I have talked to people that are gay and they go to church, they disagree with me, some say it is a matter of interpretation.
I totally understand that this is the here and now and the new generation, but there are some basic principals of the laws of the Bible and of the land that should not be messed with at all.
I have at some time in my life believed that it was okay and that it was not. At this point in my life, I believe that marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman - that is the way the 'parts' were made! However, there are some people in my life that cause me to seriously consider how I feel. There is only One who knows what is right.
I'm fine with the idea couples getting married whether they are gay or not. Of course, with marriage comes the possibility of divorce, so be double-dog sure before you say I-DO!!! :-)
Seriously, I don't think I or anyone else is in the position to judge what a couple decides to do. Ultimately, it's between each person and what ever form of higher being they believe in; that's assuming they believe in a higher being. ;-)
Other countries have it legalized.. and I think they call it a "union" instead of "marriage". I think it's legal in Canada, Amsterdamn, and a few others. So, the U.S.A isn't really a FREE country as compared to others.
So, if we want to be the leaders of the free world, why are other countries leading the way on FREEDOM?!?!?
1. Like Tara said, it doesn't infringe upon my rights, so it shouldn't be a governmental decision.
HOWEVER...
2. The United States was founded on Christian beliefs, and it specifically states in the bible that a union is between man and woman and therefore it shouldn't be legal.
Here are the scriptures that I found regarding marriage and homosexuality:
Romans 1:26-27 Discusses how God abandoned those woman who chose woman and those men who chose men b/c they were going against God's law.
Ephesians 5:31-33 Discusses how a husband should love his wife and a wife hsould love her husband.
Leviticus 18:22 Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin.
In my notes in my Bible that I have the side bar states as follows: Society today takes some of these practices lightly, even trying to make them acceptable. But they are still sins in God's eyes. If you consider them acceptable, you are not judging by GOd's standards.
I hope this helps the person who wanted the scripture. I could not find the direct scripture that says a union is between a man and a woman, but from this scripture you get a really good idea and sense that God does not condone homosexuality, which would make one believe that the marriage would go along that line as well.
Perception is everything in this case. The jewel that is sex is percieved in many ways and rarely with a benign opinion since it is a subject that taps into the most primal of instincts.
If you percieve marriage as a sacrament to a god, then clearly that god's views of the sacrament define the marriage.
If you percieve marriage as a contractual union, then it's definition will be bound by the confines of whatever terms exist in the contract.
If you percieve it as a union of intimacy and trust then again it will have a new definition as well as attributes that can not only be different from both of the previous versions, but even be diametrically opposed.
The issue of Gay Marriage in America in my opinion has much less to do with its sanctity and much more to do with control over perception. At the popular debate's root is the desire to universalize the definition of marriage, a desire artificially create what is already there though not in the way we want it to be (a sense of commonality). It is a debate based partly on the faiths, ethics and beliefs of those struggling to gain that upper hand and partly based on the hope that by stating that something is a certain way, we can believe that it will be that way.
In simplest terms, marriage is what you choose it to be, but since it is a partnership of at least 2 persons a marriage can only be truly define by those in the partnership. Therefore what others say about it who are not part of it, is utterly irrelevent.
Although I would not argue that the founding of our nation was devoid of Christian influence, the mention of God in our documents does negate the clearly secular influences of that foundation. Those familiar with the history of our nation and the true histories of our founding fathers know that these 'founding fathers' were not nearly as committed to the ideals of Christianity as they were to ideals of Rennaissance based Human Secularism.
The inclusion of God into the constitution was not an omage to the Bible as Christians today want to believe. It was a carefully orchestrated acknowledgement that humanity requires some spirituality that sought to sway the general populace toward a decidedly and resoundingly clear secularist philosophy. Beneath every turn of phrase, every symbol and every major underpinning of the USA's governmental system is Human Secularist thinking, a philosophy which inserted itself into political thinking well before 1700's with our nation being its crowning jewel.
I could list a plethera of these references, but I shall merely point everyone to the Humanist Manifesto and then ask them to re-read the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and just about any major work of literature from that time period. The similarities are not accidental.
I agree with Tara, that the world would be a better place if we would be one rather than trying to basically duke it out. In some instances we are all worshipping the same God, just in different ways.
However, I disagree with the person who said that God doesn't need us to enforce his opinion. The Bible is not his opinion. The Bible is basically a book of laws that as Christians we are to abide by, just like the laws of the land. As a Christian if I disobey the Bible, I am committing a sin. (And I am not perfect and I commit sins everyday).
As a Christian we are to stand behind what the Bible states as what is a sin and not a sin. Clearly in Leviticus it states that homosexuality is a detestable sin. If it is a sin, then the legalization of same sex marriages is a sin as well.
God is very powerful and while someone's choice might not directly affect me, i.e. who they are with etc., it is my obligation as a Christian to stand up for what the Bible tells us to do.
With that being said, while I totally disagree with it and feel it should not be legalized, who am I to judge. Only one is allowed to judge and that is God. When judgment day comes, you have to answer for all your sins. I will not love anyone in my life any less for what they do and I will not depart their life because of their sins. No one has done that to me and that is the same respect I owe to others around me.
I think this is a whole other discussion BUT I do not belive the bible is a book of gods laws in my opinion its more of a book of stories to teach us to be better people. I also dont think it is the actual word of god. Considering the gap between the events that are being written about and the actual time of pen to paper. And what about all of the books that were thrown out of the bible? are those any less the word of god if we include all of those books I think we begin to paint a much different picture god.
But to respond to the comment about it not being the actual word of God. There are a lot of non-believers that do not believe that it is the word of God and believes it is something else. However, I believe the Dead Sea Scrolls actually back up the foundation of what was written in the Bible. Here is the information found on Dead Sea Scrolls.
Biblical: Those works contained in the Hebrew Bible. All of the books of the Bible are represented in the Dead Sea Scroll collection except Esther.
Apocryphal or pseudepigraphical: Those works which are omitted from various canons of the Bible and included in others.
Sectarian: Those scrolls related to a pietistic commune and include ordinances, biblical commentaries, apocalyptic visions, and liturgical works.
I respect everyone's comments on this subject and their beliefs. I have acutally enjoyed this topic b/c it has given me a chance to share the knowledge I have of my faith. I have not been out to throw Christianity down anyone's throat, I just hope that the knowledge I have shared, maybe helps those that are not Christians understand our beliefs and why we belief the way we belief.
Lori, you really know how to pick topics that make people think! Thank you!.
Marriage, is a word used by society to form a union. Not just between people.
Take the word Marriage out of the descussion and you are just talking rights. Ones rights are not defined by the bible or church, ones rights are defined by the governement.
When a gay couple does not have the rights of survivorship, social security benefits, next of kin rights, gay people are the ones with having their rights infringed upon.
14 Comments:
I personally find it wrong. Marriage was intended for a union between man and woman. God did not intend for a marriage to be a union between two people of the same sexual orign. The Bible discusses homosexuality as a sin. Now, when I have talked to people that are gay and they go to church, they disagree with me, some say it is a matter of interpretation.
I totally understand that this is the here and now and the new generation, but there are some basic principals of the laws of the Bible and of the land that should not be messed with at all.
By
Anonymous, at 10:19 AM
I have at some time in my life believed that it was okay and that it was not. At this point in my life, I believe that marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman - that is the way the 'parts' were made! However, there are some people in my life that cause me to seriously consider how I feel. There is only One who knows what is right.
By
Anonymous, at 11:25 AM
I'm fine with the idea couples getting married whether they are gay or not. Of course, with marriage comes the possibility of divorce, so be double-dog sure before you say I-DO!!! :-)
Seriously, I don't think I or anyone else is in the position to judge what a couple decides to do. Ultimately, it's between each person and what ever form of higher being they believe in; that's assuming they believe in a higher being. ;-)
As far as making it legal, I think it's fine.
By
Mrs. B, at 2:55 PM
Other countries have it legalized.. and I think they call it a "union" instead of "marriage". I think it's legal in Canada, Amsterdamn, and a few others. So, the U.S.A isn't really a FREE country as compared to others.
So, if we want to be the leaders of the free world, why are other countries leading the way on FREEDOM?!?!?
By
Anonymous, at 3:58 PM
I too think it is wrong...but like Tara said marriage is a union of two people that are in love.
By
Anonymous, at 10:55 PM
I have two opinions on this.
1. Like Tara said, it doesn't infringe upon my rights, so it shouldn't be a governmental decision.
HOWEVER...
2. The United States was founded on Christian beliefs, and it specifically states in the bible that a union is between man and woman and therefore it shouldn't be legal.
By
Anonymous, at 9:52 AM
Could someone who knows the Bible provide the appropriate chapter/verse that says "a union is between man and woman"?
By
Anonymous, at 9:56 AM
Here are the scriptures that I found regarding marriage and homosexuality:
Romans 1:26-27 Discusses how God abandoned those woman who chose woman and those men who chose men b/c they were going against God's law.
Ephesians 5:31-33 Discusses how a husband should love his wife and a wife hsould love her husband.
Leviticus 18:22 Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin.
In my notes in my Bible that I have the side bar states as follows: Society today takes some of these practices lightly, even trying to make them acceptable. But they are still sins in God's eyes. If you consider them acceptable, you are not judging by GOd's standards.
I hope this helps the person who wanted the scripture. I could not find the direct scripture that says a union is between a man and a woman, but from this scripture you get a really good idea and sense that God does not condone homosexuality, which would make one believe that the marriage would go along that line as well.
By
Anonymous, at 7:38 AM
Perception is everything in this case. The jewel that is sex is percieved in many ways and rarely with a benign opinion since it is a subject that taps into the most primal of instincts.
If you percieve marriage as a sacrament to a god, then clearly that god's views of the sacrament define the marriage.
If you percieve marriage as a contractual union, then it's definition will be bound by the confines of whatever terms exist in the contract.
If you percieve it as a union of intimacy and trust then again it will have a new definition as well as attributes that can not only be different from both of the previous versions, but even be diametrically opposed.
The issue of Gay Marriage in America in my opinion has much less to do with its sanctity and much more to do with control over perception. At the popular debate's root is the desire to universalize the definition of marriage, a desire artificially create what is already there though not in the way we want it to be (a sense of commonality). It is a debate based partly on the faiths, ethics and beliefs of those struggling to gain that upper hand and partly based on the hope that by stating that something is a certain way, we can believe that it will be that way.
In simplest terms, marriage is what you choose it to be, but since it is a partnership of at least 2 persons a marriage can only be truly define by those in the partnership. Therefore what others say about it who are not part of it, is utterly irrelevent.
By
Anonymous, at 12:56 AM
Tara, very well stated.
Although I would not argue that the founding of our nation was devoid of Christian influence, the mention of God in our documents does negate the clearly secular influences of that foundation. Those familiar with the history of our nation and the true histories of our founding fathers know that these 'founding fathers' were not nearly as committed to the ideals of Christianity as they were to ideals of Rennaissance based Human Secularism.
The inclusion of God into the constitution was not an omage to the Bible as Christians today want to believe. It was a carefully orchestrated acknowledgement that humanity requires some spirituality that sought to sway the general populace toward a decidedly and resoundingly clear secularist philosophy. Beneath every turn of phrase, every symbol and every major underpinning of the USA's governmental system is Human Secularist thinking, a philosophy which inserted itself into political thinking well before 1700's with our nation being its crowning jewel.
I could list a plethera of these references, but I shall merely point everyone to the Humanist Manifesto and then ask them to re-read the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and just about any major work of literature from that time period. The similarities are not accidental.
By
Anonymous, at 10:00 PM
I agree with Tara, that the world would be a better place if we would be one rather than trying to basically duke it out. In some instances we are all worshipping the same God, just in different ways.
However, I disagree with the person who said that God doesn't need us to enforce his opinion. The Bible is not his opinion. The Bible is basically a book of laws that as Christians we are to abide by, just like the laws of the land. As a Christian if I disobey the Bible, I am committing a sin. (And I am not perfect and I commit sins everyday).
As a Christian we are to stand behind what the Bible states as what is a sin and not a sin. Clearly in Leviticus it states that homosexuality is a detestable sin. If it is a sin, then the legalization of same sex marriages is a sin as well.
God is very powerful and while someone's choice might not directly affect me, i.e. who they are with etc., it is my obligation as a Christian to stand up for what the Bible tells us to do.
With that being said, while I totally disagree with it and feel it should not be legalized, who am I to judge. Only one is allowed to judge and that is God. When judgment day comes, you have to answer for all your sins. I will not love anyone in my life any less for what they do and I will not depart their life because of their sins. No one has done that to me and that is the same respect I owe to others around me.
By
Anonymous, at 8:39 AM
I think this is a whole other discussion BUT I do not belive the bible is a book of gods laws in my opinion its more of a book of stories to teach us to be better people. I also dont think it is the actual word of god. Considering the gap between the events that are being written about and the actual time of pen to paper. And what about all of the books that were thrown out of the bible? are those any less the word of god if we include all of those books I think we begin to paint a much different picture god.
By
Anonymous, at 11:07 AM
This topic has been a hot topic.
But to respond to the comment about it not being the actual word of God. There are a lot of non-believers that do not believe that it is the word of God and believes it is something else. However, I believe the Dead Sea Scrolls actually back up the foundation of what was written in the Bible. Here is the information found on Dead Sea Scrolls.
Biblical:
Those works contained in the Hebrew Bible. All of the books of the Bible are represented in the Dead Sea Scroll collection except Esther.
Apocryphal or pseudepigraphical:
Those works which are omitted from various canons of the Bible and included in others.
Sectarian:
Those scrolls related to a pietistic commune and include ordinances, biblical commentaries, apocalyptic visions, and liturgical works.
I respect everyone's comments on this subject and their beliefs. I have acutally enjoyed this topic b/c it has given me a chance to share the knowledge I have of my faith. I have not been out to throw Christianity down anyone's throat, I just hope that the knowledge I have shared, maybe helps those that are not Christians understand our beliefs and why we belief the way we belief.
Lori, you really know how to pick topics that make people think! Thank you!.
By
Anonymous, at 11:09 AM
Marriage, is a word used by society to form a union. Not just between people.
Take the word Marriage out of the descussion and you are just talking rights. Ones rights are not defined by the bible or church, ones rights are defined by the governement.
When a gay couple does not have the rights of survivorship, social security benefits, next of kin rights, gay people are the ones with having their rights infringed upon.
By
Anonymous, at 1:57 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home